This is a gorgeously easy recipe for homemade Blue Cheese Dressing made with only five ingredients. I’ve made it with an expensive tranche of French Roquefort as well as a cheap and cheerful piece of Danish Blue, and they both turned out equally delicious. I would say save your money and make this dressing with an inexpensive but good blue cheese. The dressing lasts nicely in the refrigerator for 48 hours. Use it to liven up anything from simple Iceberg lettuce leaves to a multi-ingredient chopped salad.
BLUE CHEESE DRESSING
(makes approximately 2 cups – recipe can be halved)
7-8 oz / 200g blue cheese (any type), crumbled
1/2 cup buttermilk / laban (plus a bit extra if you need to thin out the dressing)
1/2 cup sour cream / creme fraiche
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Crumble 7-8 oz / 200g of blue cheese into a bowl.
- Add a 1/2 cup of sour cream / creme fraiche to the bowl and and mix well with a spoon, using the back of the spoon to smooth out the blue cheese.
- Add a 1/2 cup of buttermilk / laban next and mix to get a nice pouring consistency.
- Add 2 tsp of fresh lemon juice. Mix well and taste. Add salt and pepper, as needed.
- If you need to thin out the dressing, add a little more buttermilk.
- Refrigerate for upto 48 hours, until ready to use (TIP: Keep some extra buttermilk if you plan to refrigerate the dressing overnight in order to thin it out the next day).