Caprese Salad is an Italian salad originating from the island of Capri. It is a simple summer dish which consists of layers of fresh mozzarella and juicy tomatoes punctuated with basil leaves. It is dressed with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper.
It is super simple to make and never fails to impress!
(Serves 4 as a starter)
2 beef tomatoes
Mozzarella balls in salt water (total drained weight should be approximately 10 oz / 250g)
8- 16 Basil leaves (2-4 basil leaves per serving)
4 Tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil (around 1 Tbsp per serving)
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar (around 1/2 Tbsp per serving)
Coarse sea salt (to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Cut the beef tomatoes horizontally into round slices (medium thickness). You want to get four good slices from each beef tomato (each person will get two slices).
- Drain the mozzarella and slice it into 8 slices (each person will get two slices).
- Separate the basil leaves from the stems. Wash and dry the leaves.
- On individual serving plates, stack: tomato slice, mozzarella slice, 1-2 basil leaves, tomato slice, mozzarella slice, 1-2 basil leaves.
- Drizzle roughly 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar over the Caprese Salad.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- Serve immediately.