The iceberg lettuce gives the soup its freshness, the green peas give it sweetness, and the curry powder gives it an exotic undertone. This soup is delicious hot or chilled, so take your cue from the weather outside!
CHILLED ICEBERG LETTUCE AND PEA SOUP
1 medium head of iceberg lettuce (discard outer leaves and stalk), washed and roughly chopped
800g frozen green peas
1 medium onion, sliced or diced
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp curry powder
1/4-1/2 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
6 cups / 1.5 litres chicken stock
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat 2-3 Tbsp of olive oil and sautee the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add 2 Tbsp curry powder and 1/4-1/2 tsp red chilli powder (optional), and fry for 2 minutes until fragrant (do not allow the spices to burn).
- Add 800g of frozen green peas, chopped lettuce leaves and 6 cups / 1.5 litres chicken stock.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and use a stick-blender to puree the soup directly in the stockpot. (If you do not have a stick blender, allow the soup to cool a little and then transfer it in batches into a blender or food processor). For a chilled soup, puree it as smooth as possible. For a hot soup, chunky is nice.
- Allow to cool and then chill in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, remove the chilled soup from the refrigerator. Allow to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. The soup may have slightly separated, so give it a quick stir and then pour into small bowls or shot glasses. Garnish with a twist of freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
Submitted by: Inger-Lise Gulmann