I think the thing which frightens people from trying to make salsa at home is that to get salsa just right seems like a fine balancing act – just enough chilli, just enough zest, just enough fresh sweet tomatoes. This recipe for Chunky Fresh Tomato Salsa gets the balance just right. It makes a delicious healthy snack which you can have with crispy corn tortillas. For a real treat, make some Guacamole alongside your Chunky Fresh Tomato Salsa.
It is best to eat fresh salsa within a few hours of making it because the tomatoes start making the salsa liquidy after a while (it still tastes great, but can be a bit thinner than you may want it).
CHUNKY FRESH TOMATO SALSA
(Serves 4 as an appetiser)
12 oz / 350g cherry tomatoes, cut into eighths
3 Tbsp fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
3 Tbsp red onion, finely diced
1 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 plump garlic clove, peeled and finely grated
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
- Have a medium-sized mixing bowl ready. On a chopping board, cut the cherry tomatoes into eighths (no need to deseed), and put into the mixing bowl.
- Chop 3 Tbsp coriander leaves, 3 Tbsp red onion, and 1 deseeded red chilli (for me, 1 chilli is just right, but feel free to use 2 if you prefer it even spicier.) Put them in the mixing bowl with the tomatoes.
- Peel and 1 plump garlic clove and grate it on the fine side of a grater or chop very finely. Put it in the mixing bowl.
- Add 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice and 1/2 tsp salt to the mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- This salad will become more liquidy over time, so it is best to prepare it just before serving.