Smoked salmon mousse is very easy to make as long as you have a blender or food processor handy. It is delicious spread on crackers, but for a beautiful presentation it’s nice to pipe it into cucumber cups. Cucumbers are packed with Vitamin K (which is said to help strengthen bones) and their peel is a great source of fiber.
Unless you’re a wiz with your piping bag (which I certainly am not), you’re going to want to add some kind of garnish on top to distract from inevitable imperfections. Caviar makes a nice color contrast, but chives or dill would also work well.
[TIP: If you don’t have a piping set, you can just as easily use two teaspoons to fill the smoked salmon mousse into the cucumber cups.]
CUCUMBER CANAPES WITH SMOKED SALMON MOUSSE
(Makes 24-30 canapes)
225g cream cheese, softened
100-150g smoked salmon, roughly chopped
3 Tbsp heavy/whipping cream
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
Caviar, chives or dill for garnish (optional)
- Make the smoked salmon mousse by putting the smoked salmon and cream into a food processor/blender. Blend until pureed. Add the cream cheese and lemon juice to the smoked salmon mixture, and blend until evenly combined. The smoked salmon mousse can be made 24 hours beforehand and refrigerated.
- Prepare the cucumber cups by cutting them into 1-inch thick discs. Using a teaspoon, hollow out between 1/2 and 3/4 of the cucumber so that it is like a small cup (make sure you don’t make a hole right to the bottom or the smoked salmon mousse will fall out!).
- To fill the cucumber cups, ensure that the smoked salmon mousse is not too cold or stiff. You can leave it at room temperature for a few minutes to take the chill off if it has been in the refrigerator. If you find that it is too stiff, add some more cream to slightly thin it out. If you are using a piping bag, fill it about half-way with the smoked salmon mousse (choose any tip)and fill each cucumber cup. If you don’t have a piping bag, use two spoons to neatly fill the cucumber cups.
- Garnish with caviar, chives or dill.
- Refrigerate and serve cold.