I used flavorful crunchy vegetables such as cabbage, green bell peppers, carrots and spinach which make for a colorful salad and top the veggies with some rice noodles. A nice piece of steak on the side rounds off this well-balanced meal.
JAPANESE SALAD WITH BEEF AND NOODLES
GINGER DRESSING (makes 1 cup)
1/4 cup soy sauce (preferably low sodium)
Juice of half a lemon or lime
3 garlic cloves, peeled
3 inches fresh ginger, peeled
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Blend all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Use immediately or refrigerate upto 3 days. Remember to allow the dressing to come to room temperature if it has been in the refrigerator.
- Drizzle on top of the noodle salad and steak (recipes below).
JAPANESE NOODLE SALAD
100g dried rice noodles
100g baby spinach (raw)
200g white cabbage, shredded (raw)
2 carrots, shredded
1 green bell pepper, shredded
2 Tbsp soy sauce (preferably low sodium)
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Prepare noodles according to packet instructions (usually they simply need to sit in boiled water for a few minutes). Remember to add some salt to the water and drain the noodles while they are still al dente.
- Toss the drained noodles with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Toss the shredded carrots and green bell peppers into the noodles.
- On four individual plates, arrange the shredded white cabbage and baby spinach.
- Arrange the noodles on top of the cabbage and spinach base.
4 beef steaks (my preference is Rib Eye)
Salt, to taste
Ground Black pepper, to taste
A little oil
- Wipe the inside of a skillet or griddle with a thin layer of cooking oil. Heat until very hot.
- Pat both sides of the steak with a paper-towel.
- Season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Cook the steaks to your preference.
- Slice (optional) and serve on the side of the Noodle Salad.