The first time I tried a papaya, I really disliked it. I don’t want to say that I hated it because I definitely found merit in its soft butter-like texture which almost disappears in your mouth as you chew. But there was an aftertaste which made me hesitant to try it again.
Then, I read that squeezing a generous amount of fresh lime juice on top of a papaya is one of the best ways to eat it. Needless to say, I tried it because I am aware of how healthy papayas are. I am so glad I did, because WOW!
There are only two ingredients in this fruit salad: papaya and lime. Make sure your papaya is ripe and soft with yellow skin (not green) and has some give to it when you press on it. This way, you not only get the best flavor but also the highest concentration of antioxidants (Vitamins A, C and E). Antioxidants help the body to get rid of free radicals (which can lead to degenerative diseases), boost your immune system, and are thought to have anti-aging properties. These are all good reasons to eat papaya with lime, but for me the best reason is that it just tastes so good and is simple and fast to make.
The recipe below is supposed to serve 4 people, but I can easily eat the whole portion in one sitting!
PAPAYA WITH LIME
1kg ripe papaya (around 2 medium sized papayas) (look for fruit with yellow skin and some give when you press on it)
1-2 medium limes (you want about 3 Tbsp of fresh lime juice)
- Wash and dry the skin of your papayas and limes.
- Cut the papayas in half (lengthwise) and use a teaspoon to scoop out the small black seeds in the center. These edible seeds have a peppery flavor, so you can save them if you want to use them in another recipe.
- Cut the papayas into strips (around 1-inch thick), and then slide a small sharp knife between the skin and the flesh. Discard the skin.
- You can leave the papaya strips intact, or cut them into bite-size cubes.
- Squeeze a generous amount of lime on top of the papayas. This salad is best eaten immediately. If you refrigerate it, make sure to let it sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes and toss it well before serving.