I am not a big fan of liquorice, so I was surprised the first time I tried tarragon that I actually really loved the flavor. It was a recipe for ‘Chicken with Tarragon Sauce’ from a Dean & DeLuca cookbook, and I remember wanting to lick my plate clean to get every last drop of that heavenly subtle tarragon flavor.
Fresh tarragon has a very distinctive flavor, reminiscent of aniseed. It pairs beautifully with cream and mustard, two ingredients which really allow the herb to showcase itself.
With that in mind, I created Potato Salad with Tarragon and Shallot Dressing, a ‘grown-up’ potato salad if there ever was one. I used typical french ingredients such as creme fraiche, dijon mustard, fresh tarragon and diced shallots to create the dressing. This potato salad is delicious served alongside grilled chicken or fish.
POTATO SALAD WITH TARRAGON AND SHALLOT DRESSING
(Serves 4-6 as a side dish)
1 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 shallot, very finely diced (around 4 Tbsp) (alternatively, you can use a red onion)
4-5 Tbsp fresh tarragon leaves, very finely chopped
1/8 tsp ground paprika (optional)
1 tsp coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I turn my pepper mill 5 times)
2 lb / 900g waxy potatoes
2 celery sticks (thinly sliced) or half a large cucumber (quartered and finely sliced)
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. While the water is heating, wash your potatoes, peel them if desired, and cut them into bite-size cubes.
- Salt the water well and add the potato cubes. Boil until just tender, between 6 and 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- While the potatoes are boiling, wash and slice the celery sticks or cucumber and set aside.
- Prepare the Tarragon and Shallot Dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a clean jar and shaking well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the potatoes are cool, place them in a salad bowl and add the sliced celery/cucumber. Pour the dressing over everything and carefully fold the ingredients together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove from refrigerator 5 minutes before serving.