Prawn Cocktail was a popular dinner party appetiser in the 1970s. Before making this recipe, I had only ever eaten Prawn Cocktail once, and what stands out in my memory is the prawns being smothered in a Cocktail Sauce that was too heavy for my taste. However, if you serve the Cocktail Sauce in moderation on the side, I think this salad is quite refreshing and makes a nice cool appetiser.
Here, I’ve tried out a classic Prawn Cocktail recipe. It’s nice, light and refreshing. Traditionally, pre-cooked prawns are used and I’ve stuck to that in this recipe, although there is definitely scope to update the recipe with grilled fresh prawns and a spicier sauce.
5 Tbsp mayonnaise
5 Tbsp ketchup
4-5 tsp horseradish sauce (to taste)
4 drops Tabasco sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- Refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
PRAWN COCKTAIL SALAD
400g pre-cooked prawns (defrosted in a colander in the fridge overnight if frozen)
180g butterhead lettuce (or any mild lettuce), finely shredded
- Arrange the shredded lettuce on a plate or in a martini glass.
- Arrange prawns neatly on top of the lettuce.
- Add a dollop if Seafood Sauce in the center.
- Serve chilled with a wedge of lemon.