Quinoa, Corn and Bean Salad is a nice side dish to serve as part of a Mexican meal. It has got a nice mixture of textures – chewy quinoa, smooth beans and crunchy corn. It can be prepared in advance and refrigerated upto 24 hours before serving.
To learn more about Quinoa, have a look at ‘Quinoa: 5 Great Reasons Why You Should Be Eating It’.
QUINOA, CORN AND BEAN SALAD
1 cup dried quinoa (3 cups cooked quinoa)
1 & 1/2 cups boiling water
2 cups Frozen Corn, defrosted (or boiled and cooled)
1 can of Red Kidney Beans (drained weight 80z / 240g)
3 Tbsp scallions / spring onions, finely sliced (white and green parts)
3 Tbsp cilantro / coriander leaves, chopped
4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Vinegar (Apple Cider or White Wine Vinegar)
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed Lime (optional)
2 Garlic cloves, finely grated or very finely chopped
pinch of Sea Salt (to taste)
- Measure out 1 cup of dried quinoa and rinse it well. Quinoa can be difficult to rinse because a lot of it floats to the top, so my favorite way of rinsing it is by putting the quinoa in a fine mesh colander and placing the colander in a larger bowl. Place the bowl with the colander in it into the sink and run water over it. This allows you to rinse the quinoa and then raise the colander up out of the bowl to easily drain it. Rinse it well in 2-3 changes of water and set aside.
- Boil about 2 cups of water in a kettle. When the water has boiled, measure out 1 & 1/2 cups, and pour it into a saucepan. Bring the water up to the boil on the stove.
- Add the drained quinoa to the saucepan. Allow it to simmer (covered) for 15 minutes, followed by 5 minutes off the heat (covered), and then fluff it with a fork.
- Spread the quinoa on a plate to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the Dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar and shaking well. Set aside while you make the salad.
- Defrost 2 cups of frozen corn kernels by placing them in a colander over a bowl at room temperature for about an hour. Alternatively, you can boil some water in the kettle, pour it into a medium-sized bowl, and place the frozen corn kernels into the boiled water for about 5 minutes until they are soft all the way through.
- Drain and rinse the red kidney beans.
- Chop the cilantro / coriander leaves and scallions / spring onions.
- Toss all the salad ingredients together once everything is at room temperature. Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and toss again to distribute evenly.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve cold or at room temperature.