Juicy strawberries, crunchy fennel, and smooth creamy mozzarella are dressed in a lemony dressing. Beautiful as part of a picnic lunch!
STRAWBERRY AND FENNEL SALAD
(Serves 4 as a starter or side dish)
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Grated rind of 1 unwaxed lemon
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch of sea salt (to taste)
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
2 Fennel bulbs
1 lb / 450g Strawberries, sliced
4 Tbsp Parsley, roughly chopped
4-5oz / 125g Mozzarella ball, torn by hand into bite size pieces
- Prepare the fennel bulbs by cutting the base off the bottom and the stalks off the top (the stalks can be saved and used to flavor a stock). Remove the outer layer of leaves of they are tough. Slice the fennel bulbs thinly (widthwise, not lengthwise). Put the sliced fennel into your salad bowl.
- Prepare the strawberries by removing the leaves and slicing the strawberries. Put them in the salad bowl with the fennel.
- Prepare the parsley by chopping it coarsely. Add it to the salad bowl.
- Prepare the Mozzarella by tearing the ball into bite size pieces by hand. Add to the salad bowl.
- Dressing: [If you are serving the salad immediately, you can add the dressing ingredients directly to the salad bowl. If you plan to refrigerate the salad and serve it later, make the salad dressing in a screw-top jar and dress the salad just prior to serving.] With the lemon, it is important that you grate the rind before juicing it. Grate the lemon rind on the fine side of your grater (make sure you do not grate the white pith lying under the rind as it is bitter). Once you have grated the lemon, cut it in half and juice both halves.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, Extra Virgin olive oil and salt together and toss everything.
- Grind fresh pepper over on top of the salad just prior to serving.
Submitted by: Chetana HougaardFollow Me: