This salad is for blue cheese lovers only. Make sure you use the ripest, sweetest tomatoes you can get your hands on (skip the cheap ones which taste of nothing but paper-bags). I like combining 3 types of tomato but feel free to use only one or two varieties if you wish.
The flavor quality of the tomatoes is super-important because they are the only thing carrying the taste of the pungent blue cheese dressing, and the contrast between the sweet tomatoes and the savory dressing is what this salad is all about.
TOMATO SALAD WITH BLUE CHEESE DRESSING
(Serves 4 as a side salad)
BLUE CHEESE DRESSING (makes 2 cups – recipe can be halved)
200g blue cheese (Stilton, Rocquefort, Gorgonzola), roughly crumbled
1/2 cup buttermilk or laban
1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
- Crumble the blue cheese into a bowl.
- Add the buttermilk/laban and sour cream / creme fraiche to the bowl and mix until the ingredients become fairly smooth.
- Add the fresh lemon juice and stir some more. Taste and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Eat immediately or refrigerate for upto 2 days.
Mixed variety of tomatoes (there are no precise amounts, but as a guide you are looking at around 750g to 1000g for four side salads)
- Cut the tomatoes according to their size – large ones whould be sliced, cherry tomatoes should be halved, and very small tomatoes can be left whole.
- Either arrange the tomatoes on a large platter for everyone to share, otherwise on individual side plates.
- Dress with the blue cheese dressing.