‘Saffron Couscous and Chickpea Salad’ is a great summertime salad to bring to a picnic. It is packed with flavour, delicious at room temperature, and doesn’t get soggy. By steaming the couscous in saffron-infused stock (chicken or vegetable), all the delicious flavours are imbued directly into the grains so there is no need to make a separate dressing.
SAFFRON COUSCOUS AND CHICKPEA SALAD
200g dried coucous
250ml hot stock (vegetable or chicken)
½ tsp loosely packed saffron strands
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp EVOO + 3 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
240g drained tinned chickpeas
8 cherry tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes, deseeded and cut into bite-size pieces
6 radishes, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
1 small or ½ large cucumber, quartered and chopped
2 Tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp mint leaves, chopped
Optional garnish (pomegranate seeds, chopped nuts, sumac)
- Prepare hot stock and add the saffron strands, 1 tsp coarse sea salt and 2 Tbsp EVOO into it. Allow the mixture to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Pour the dried couscous into a saucepan (with a lid) and pour the seasoned stock on top. Mix quickly and then cover and let sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, uncover and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool. Once the couscous is cool, add 3 Tbsp EVOO and 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Toss well.
- While the couscous is cooling, drain and rinse the tinned chickpeas.
- Prepare all your vegetables by chopping your cucumber, tomatoes and radishes into bite-size pieces and roughly chopping your coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- In a large bowl, add the cooled couscous, drained chickpeas, and all the vegetables and herbs. Toss well.
- Refrigerate for upto 3 days .
- Before serving, scatter pomegranate seeds, chopped nuts and a good sprinkle of sumac over the salad (optional).