When I want to put together a well-balanced salad fast, I make myself a quick salad bowl using a mix of pre-cooked leftovers and raw ingredients which I usually have washed and ready to cut. Instead of following a recipe, I simply follow my instinct.
Organising the salad ingredients into segments in the bowl which I plan to eat from helps me to create a well-balanced salad and ensures that the portion size is correct so that there is no waste.
This is a salad bowl I made recently using leftover grilled prawns and quinoa plus freshly cut lettuce, avocado and tomatoes. I like placing a dollop of yogurt or some kind of dip in the center and scatter a few chopped nuts or seeds on top. Leftovers are often well-seasoned, so I don’t always add a dressing. If I do, it is usually a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt.
To learn more, have a look at my Tutorial: How to Use Leftovers to Make a Quick and Delicious Salad Bowl.
QUINOA AND PRAWN ‘SALAD BOWL’
All ingredients should be cut into bite-size pieces.
Quantities depend on what you have in the house.
Make ingredient substitutions as you see fit.
2-3 cooked jumbo prawns per person
Greek yogurt (or any other dip)
Chopped pistachio nuts (or any other nuts or seeds)
- Cut your jumbo prawns into 3-4 pieces and place and place in 1/5 of your salad bowl.
- Fill the remaining 4/5 of your salad bowl with equal amounts of shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cooked quinoa and diced avocado (see image above).
- Place a good dollop of yogurt or other dip in the center.
- Scatter some nuts or seeds on top of the yogurt.
- If desired, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt on top of your salad.
- To eat, mix all the ingredients together and start chomping!