At my house, some fruit gets eaten faster than others. Mangoes, plums, grapes, clementines, conference pears and melons usually disappear within 48 hours. Bananas have been known to get over-ripe at my place, but they are easy to throw into smoothies so don’t end up getting wasted. But apples tend to linger. I’ll buy six apples at the beginning of the week, and by the end of the week there will probably still be four sitting in the fruit basket. It seems they come pretty low down on the preference list around here. So, I’m always happy when I can find new and inventive ways to serve apples to my family.
Apples team really well with cheese and nuts, so why not throw them into a salad together? Apple, Roquefort and Walnut Salad is a great combination. The Roquefort satisfies those of us who have strong savoury cravings, the apple’s sweetness comes in little bursts, and the walnuts give delicious crunch!
Do you have any delicious salad recipes with apples in them? I am always looking for suggestions!
APPLE, ROQUEFORT AND WALNUT SALAD
(4 appetiser servings or 2 main course servings)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g lamb’s lettuce leaves (or any other dark green lettuce)
- 2 medium red crispy apples (the salad needs to be served immediately, so it is best to chill the apples in advance in the refrigerator)
- 100g walnuts (or pecans)
- 30g Roquefort cheese
- Prepare the dressing by combining all the dressing ingredients in a clean empty jar with a lid and shaking it until well combined. If you don’t have a jam jar, simply whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl or cup.
- Wash and dry the lettuce leaves. Place them in a large bowl and toss with the dressing (you may not need to use all the dressing). Set aside.
- Wash and cut the apples into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the walnuts. Set aside.
- Roughly crumble the Roquefort cheese into a small plate or bowl. Set aside.
- If making individual servings, arrange the dressed lettuce leaves on the plates and scatter the chopped apples, Roquefort cheese and walnuts evenly on top of each serving.
- If serving from a large salad bowl, toss all the ingredients together.
- Serve immediately.